British Expatriates

Legally tax non-resident

Unlike some countries (e.g. USA), the UK has tax legislation that consists of a category for it's citizens that no longer live in the country. Such people may demonstrate to the Inland Revenue's satisfaction that they should not be assessed for income or other taxes provided that they comply with certain rules:

  • British citizen
  • more than 183 days (6 months) out of the country per tax year
  • no single visit to the UK lasts for more than 90 days (3 months)
  • income arises from outside the country
  • that you have a proper home outside the UK

There are many other factors to be taken into consideration e.g.

  • ordinary residence
  • domicile

This is a complex subject and each individual's circumstances may greatly vary the outcome. An in-depth discussion would be required in order to suggest a definitive solution. In the first instance, email your query to us at Optimal Option.


Email service queries to Webquery or alternatively to Yahoo
'SnowdonConsultants' ID for all Messengers; Yahoo, Hotmail / MSN & Google. Also Skype & ICQ available on request